The American Public Human Services Association (APHSA) is a bipartisan, nonprofit membership organization representing state and local human service agencies through their top-level leadership. Through our member network and three national Collaborative Centers, APHSA seeks to influence modern policies and practices that support the health and well-being of all children and families and that lead to stronger communities. APHSA connects its members to national policymakers and human-serving organizations across a wide circle of stakeholders in the health and human services sector, as well as key partners in education, housing, employment and others. APHSA also helps members build more capacity for their teams through access to our professional education and development conferences, technical expertise, publications and our Organizational Effectiveness practice.
- To be the voice and credible broker for the health and human service fields.
- To provide a high level of support to our members, establish and maintain high standards for our field and help agencies improve their performance.
- To achieve operational excellence as an association in our own right.
The following values establish the expectations and commitments that we have made for the Association and guide how we conduct business and promote progress.
- Member Focus and Service: Provide valued service, regular communication and dedication to all members and stakeholders through professionalism, consistent work and deliberate decision-making.
- Continuous Improvement: Strive to be a learning organization that continuously builds on strengths, constructively addresses weaknesses and approaches improvements collectively.
- Innovation: Engage in creative problem solving, visionary thinking and flexibility by drawing from diverse sources and working with partners and stakeholders.
- Respect: Encourage equality, integrity and teamwork for all members and stakeholders by focusing on strengths and positivity.
- Collaboration: Integrate different approaches to achieving our vision by promoting engaged partners, participative problem-solving and inclusiveness.
Our Organizational Structure
APHSA operates as a member-run organization that is supported by the association staff. Members include state agencies, local agencies, other non-profit organizations and individuals. APHSA is strengthened by the depth of expertise and experience found in the nine affiliate organizations that operate under its umbrella. Representing specialized programs and professions, our Affiliates are fundamental building blocks for carrying out the mission of APHSA and helping drive the transformation of human services We also receive technical and financial support from private businesses who work in the health and human services field through our industry partner program.
How We Are Governed
The Association is governed by a Board of Directors that sets the overall strategic direction for APHSA and works closely with the staff's management team and three other leadership councils to carry out the mission.
Who We Are Not
We are not a direct human service provider. While we do work with administrators from around the United States to improve their services and organizational effectiveness, APHSA does not handle individual health and human service cases.